CANON 49: OF PROPOSED ALTERATIONS TO CANONS
Amendment of Constitution or Canons
1. No Article of the Constitution or canons of this Church shall be liable to alteration, amendment, or repeal, and no new Article of the Constitution or canon shall be added at any future Provincial Synod, unless formal notice of such proposed alteration, amendment, repeal or addition shall have been notified to the Metropolitan at least five months before the day fixed for the opening of such Synod. All such notices shall consist of two parts:
(a) A statement of the reasons why such alterations are desirable, and
(b) The precise alterations proposed.
All such notices shall be communicated by the Metropolitan not less than three months before the meeting of the Provincial Synod to all the diocesan bishops for the information of those who shall represent their several dioceses at that Synod.
Amendment of the Constitution
2. No formal notice for the alteration, amendment or repeal of any portion of the Constitution shall be received unless it proceeds out of a resolution of the House of Bishops, the Provincial Synod, a Diocesan Synod, the Provincial Standing Committee, or a duly constituted provincial or diocesan board.
3. No formal notice for the alteration, amendment or repeal of a canon shall be received unless it proceeds out of a resolution of the House of Bishops, Provincial Synod, the Provincial Standing Committee, a committee or commission of Provincial Synod or a Diocesan Synod, council, board, committee or commission, or is accompanied by a declaration signed by a diocesan bishop or three diocesan representatives to Provincial Synod.
Amendment of Wording in Motions
4. It is competent for the Provincial Synod to amend, modify or adopt in part the wording of any such formal notice of a new canon, or the wording of any such formal notice of the alteration, amendment, repeal of or addition to any existing canon, and to reject any such wording in whole or in part; and further to substitute new wording, so long as no new subject matter is introduced of which five months’ notice has not been given.
Date of Validity of New Canons
5. All Canons of the Church of this Province shall be in force two months from the date of the authentication and promulgation of the same, which shall always be made immediately before the dissolution of the Synod